BOOK RESIDENCIES and WORKSHOPS NOW FOR 2019/2020!
- LANA creates collaborative student driven CURRICULUM CENTERED stories with clear structure and purpose.
- Past explorations included life cycles, defining community, sky science, Alberta’s regions, immigrant history, democracy, cross cultural study, alternative energy exploration (solar and wind) and indigenous animal perspectives.
- Well organized lesson plans are DIRECTLY connected to student learning.
FULL RESIDENCY SAMPLES:
Full residencies occur over consecutive weeks with a Summation of Learning at the end of the process.
- EARTH, WIND, FIRE (kindergarten) Hands-on exploration of rocks, wind’s influence on the land and how the sun influences us. Full group story followed by intimate story box sharing one to one.
- WINTER SKY WONDERS (K to grade 3) How stars and snowflakes form using large cloths and hoops.
- THE FOOL’S JOURNEY (grades 4 to 6) Emotional map of protagonist on a journey to understand the importance of democracy. Humour leads us to important lessons with laughter being the key! Outcome may be represented in still shots or live presentation.
- STORIES UNDER MANY MOONS (grade 1/2) Perspective stories of indigenous animals of Alberta focused on themes of generosity, mastery, independence and belonging augmented with giant Spirit Guide puppets made by students.
- WETLAND DRAGONS (grade 5) Benevolent Chinese dragons echo the importance of wetland exploration and protection in an action-packed adventure!
- CONSUMER DRAGONS (grades 5 to 6) Waste in our world is explored as students design these monsters and explore a potential story using still shots and film clips as representation to teach awareness and encourage alternatives for our consuming culture.
- RADIO PLAYS (grade 5) Combining wind energy knowledge and Alberta’s past with finely tuned scripts and Foley Artistry.
LANA has a MILLION ideas!!!
Fill an hour, a morning, a day or more to get a taste of possibilities in pure exploration with no summation attached.
- UNDERSTANDING STORY STRUCTURE (grades 4 to 6) LANA performs “The Skywatcher” and students collectively build the sequel using her example as a template. Terms such as protagonist, events, turning point, climax, rising action, descending action and ending will be used.
- BUILDING COMMUNITY (grades 4 to 6) A study of tolerance and the importance of democracy in neutral and or half mask.
- SPIRIT GUIDE GIANTS (grades 1 to 6) Earth images are captured in ethereal entities with a story attached aimed at energy conservation awareness. This workshop requires three visits.
- CONSUMER DRAGONS (grades 5 and 6) Built with found objects, the monsters come alive to reveal the importance of conscientious consumption. This workshop requires three visits.
WHAT LANA OFFERS:
- Over 40 years of focused enthusiasm with realistic goals
- Cloth, hoops, shields, neutral masks to capture student images
- Full sound system
- Recorded music to augment the experience
- Edited script (PDF) with images sent after the residency/workshop
WHAT LANA NEEDS:
- Meeting with staff to decide on theme/curricular focus
- Large space for movement
- Teachers to take photos and videos on iPad
- Summation of Learning to celebrate our findings!
LANA IS NOT JUST FOR KIDS!
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT FOR TEACHERS Half or full day exploration of storypathing through full body creation, tactile story box and emotional mapping.
- “YOU MATTER ” Lana embraces your group with love and humour as she uses her own life lessons to LIFT YOUR SPIRITS!